Thursday, September 11, 2008

Tour de Italia...Borri style!


Brian paraphrasing Jennifer..."So, I know we've only been dating for 3 months but, come to Italy with ALL my family and meet ALL my Italian relatives for the Borri Family Reunion!"

I had no idea what I was in for.

I met Jen at O'Hare airport in Chicago. It was just she and I...alone...enjoying a stroll through the terminal, excited for our international excursion. Then it hit me. There they were, all gathered in the food court like a pack of hungry, wild coyotes. Everyone laughing, hugging, taking pictures...and then Rita. Aunt Rita unleashed the video camera which was never turned off during the entire trip. At that moment I was thrusted into the pack of wild Borri's. I had already met the parents and siblings (only once) but this was everyone! Aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandma Borri! Everyone. EVERYONE!

My head was spinning trying to keep up with all the names, faces and how they're related to Jen. I had to remain on guard for I am the new guy, invading the Borri brigade on their family festival of fun. I'll admit I was scared, I had a lot to lose. If I screw up with an Italian family, in Italy, 4800 miles away, I'm dead! Not only am I spending a lot of time with a girl I had only been dating 3 months but I'm also getting close and personal with her mom and dad. I can't blow it. I could end up with a sack over my head, thrown into a trunk, dropped to the bottom of the Arno river with my feet in cement!

It's a 10 hour flight. I was thinking with this being an international flight we should have a little more leg room and it would be a little more spacious than your standard domestic airlines. I was wrong. 10 hours. Packed like sardines, twisting like pretzels trying to get comfortable so your butt doesn't fall asleep. We did have fun, ate some airline food, watched some bad Italian movies, slept a little, watched about an hour of Transformers on the computer until the battery went dead. Wah wahhhh. Then we landed in Rome!

From the airport we hopped on a charter bus for our first destination of Porretta Terma in Tuscany. We drove for a few hours before stopping in Orviega for lunch. It was a small town in the hills. We ate in a small Pizzeria and soon learned to order water with 'no gas'. It was truly fun listening to her dad, aunt Susan and grandma Borri speaking in Italian and getting us through the meal without ordering something which could potentially haunt us for the rest of the day. It was great just walking down the street while all the Italians were living there lives as normal and I was having the time of my life.

We had a few more hours on the bus until Porretta Terme. The majority of the Borri clan were fast asleep but not me. I was so excited, I wanted to soak up every second I could. I sat with my faced pressed up against the glass while listening to Band of Horses and U2 on my ipod. Jen's father was also awake and sitting near me. Since he had been through here before and lived there for some time he had some interesting stories to tell. We finally made it to Porretta Terme and the Hotel Helvetia. This was a quaint town in the foot hills of Tuscany. We arrived late in the evening so everyone went on their own for food and some called it a night. Jen and I along with her cousins went to a pub up the street. Soon after more Borris arrived. Her aunt, uncle, and even her dad. We stayed there for a couple of hours and had a wonderful time. The next day we all boarded the bus again and took a tour of Tuscany and all the towns which played an important roll in Jen's grandparents lives. We even had a town mayor greet us and give us a personal tour. We then walked to Jen's cousins house for food and drinks. I spent some time out on the balcony with the husband. He had a great story about he and his father watching the American army fly and march through the valley. He also said the Germans would break into their homes and steal their food, so they built a hidden bunker filled with food for the town. On our way to another town we stopped by a man made lake for some site seeing when this classic jeep pulled up and this funny crazy guy started hugging everyone. It was ARMANDO!!! He is the boyfriend of Jen's cousin. Great guy!!! After a few other stops we met a majority of the Italian family for lunch. Once again, we're being immersed into Italian culture! It was amazing. Everyone was laughing, having a great time, talking of old times and the wine was flowing! Jen and I had an old guy (I don't believe he was related to the family) talking our ears off in Italian and he wouldn't stop. We just couldn't convey to him we didn't speak Italian. He just laughed and laughed and kept on talking. It was just a wonderful day!

That night we went out to dinner in Porretta Terme with Jen's parents, sister, grandma, aunt, uncle, and cousins. This is when my relationship with grandma Borri flourished. I love this woman! Both of my grandmothers have passed so I'm claiming her as my own now! She's a strong willed, laid back, easy going, funny loving woman! She loves her family and it's obvious her family loves her. She is the matriarch of that family!Another reason she is a great woman...because she knows her dolce!!

Now it was the day of the big reunion. We all met in a hotel up in the hills. This was something to be seen. I don't know how many people were there, maybe 50? A lot of introductions, a lot of dual cheek kissing, a lot of laughing and hugging! A lot of Italians! Then came the meal. This was not some ordinary meal. If I recall it was 9 courses! I think it took about 2.5 hours?

After the meal everyone made their way back downstairs for music, dancing and drinking! Those older Italians really know how to cut a rug. Check out the red Ducati pants Armando was wearing...

This is Daniel and Armando. Daniel was just as fun as Armando. These are definitely the guys you want to go bar hopping with. You'd never know it but Daniel is Polizia di Stato.

What a great time! Everyone was so nice, fun, and inquisitive. We really met a lot of wonderful people and would love to see them again.

The next morning we packed up the bus for Florence. But we made a stop in Pisa first.
"Not to sound stupid, but that thing really leans." - Jen Borri

We arrived in Florence and had a great apartment overlooking the Arno river and in the middle of everything. Florence was my favorite city on our tour. Filled with daily business, small side streets, people all over living there lives as they do every day with a few Americans in the mix.


The following morning Jen and I along with her father went to the Galleria del Accademia to see the Statue of David. Once again, Jen's dad had great childhood stories from living in Italy and his previous trips back. I took a picture of David...which is highly prohibited but I didn't travel over 5000 miles for a postcard of one of the greatest statues on earth. I wanted my own picture!

Later in the day Jen wasn't feeling well so she napped while I went to the Piazzale Michelangelo with her dad, aunt, grandma, and her aunt's childhood friend and husband. This was a great view of Florence!!


We spent 2 days in Florence and now we're off to Rome. But first we stopped and toured the walled town of Monteriggioni, built in the 13th century.


Then it was off to Siena for lunch. This is home of the Palio di Siena, the traditional medieval horse race ran around the Piazza del Campo each year.


It was a rainy and cold day but who cares! We're in Italy and we're having a great time!

Now it's on to Rome! Our apartment was located in a great location of Rome. Here is a picture of the street outside our door, I love this picture!

In Rome we walked and walked and walked! A lot of site seeing. I think we all know what this is...


This was next to the Spanish Steps. I didn't understand the big draw to the steps?

This was our street as well. One evening we were locked out of the apartment since there were only a few keys to be passed around and we were on the short end. It was raining and cold, so we decided to walk up the street and into the square, sit and enjoy some drinks. We found a great place outside, under a large canopy with heated lamps. Jen drank wine. I drank Johnny Walker. I drank a lot. We had a lot of time to kill but we had a great time. Jen and I speak of this moment often. It was such a relaxing time. We even struck up a conversation with an American woman from Kansas. She was in Rome with a group and decided to sneak off on her own I suppose. If I recall correctly she is a professor but I don't recall what she teaches. She talked about us as a couple. Told us not to rush into things, to take our time, enjoy one another and get to know one another. We truly enjoyed that late afternoon in the square. A while later Jen's cousin stumbled upon us and decided to partake of an Italian meal. I apparently had drank too much, because I hardly remember anything from the dinner. Jen and Christina said I was funny and was very curious about Christina's job???

After dinner we ran into Susan and grandma Borri in the square!! By that time I was very happy! I was so happy to see gma Borri I even bought her flowers and walked her home. I know there is a picture of that somewhere...

We all gathered in one apt to spend some time together. I believe this was the turning point for me and Jen's family. This is when the Borri's decided they like me, they really really like me! I'm a happy person with too much JW so I was very outgoing with Jen's mom, gma, aunt, and sister. In fact, I was sitting on the sofa with my arm around Jen's sister Michelle (she doesn't like people touching her) but didn't mind it at all! I was in! I think the Borri family likes me. :)

The next morning was not pleasant. Way too much JW. 'Nuff said.

Jen and I headed out on our own for awhile, went to the Vatican, waited in a very long line to see the Sistine Chapel. But it was well worth it!


Trevi Fountain...

We all gathered together for dinner on our last night in Italy. We had a wonderful time! Besides Jen I didn't know anyone heading into this family event. I left feeling like I was part of the family. Jen's family is amazing, very accepting and loving. Jen's dad is very funny, smart, and just one of the guys. Her mom is very caring, accomodating and of course motherly to all. Grandma Hilda Borri is one in a million. She is a very proper, strong willed but loving woman who just wants to be a part of everything going on. She may be a grandma but you won't find her asleep in bed by 9pm!

Jen and I loved our time together! We had a great time and hope to do this again with the family soon! This time Ryan and Curtis better be there!

Ciao!

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

Now I can't stop laughing... I guess I never really thought about how crazy it was for you to meet my entire family like that. I don't realize how big and crazy they are until I take a step back. HAHAHA! You were a trooper!